2 cloves garlic, smashed flat with the side of a knife
12 oz can garbanzo beans, drained
juice of one lemon
3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. tahini paste (ground sesame seed, used as a thickener - can be omitted)
2 oz red onion, diced fine
½ cup of mixed olives (pitted), roughly chopped
2 oz feta cheese
2 Tbsp. fresh oregano or basil, chopped
6 pieces of pita bread, warmed in a 350˚ oven for five minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚ F for 15 minutes.
2. In a food processor, puree the garlic and garbanzo beans.
Add the lemon juice and olive oil and continue to puree and thin the mixture. Stop
the machine and scrape the sides of the bowl frequently to obtain a smooth
3. Add the tahini paste and puree until smooth.
4. Pour the hummus mixture into a large mixing bowl; add the
onion, olives, cheese and herbs. Mix all the ingredients together thoroughly.
5. Warm the pita bread on a cookie sheet tray in the
preheated oven for 5 minutes. Then cut each of them into four pieces.
6. To serve, divide the hummus between four plates, and
arrange the warm pita wedges around the dollop of hummus.