Recipe difficulty best for ages:
Recipe safety best for ages:
1 12 Ounce box of whole wheat pasta (Just about any kind or shape of pasta will work, I prefer penne pasta because it is easy to mix together)
1 Quart (32 ounces) of milk (I prefer to use 2 percent milk because of the lower fat content but still with enough fat to give it a little flavor, volume, and texture)
5 Tablespoons of Unsalted Butter
4 Tablespoons of All Purpose Flour
2 Teaspoons of Kosher Salt
1/4 Teaspoon of Ground White Pepper
1 Pound (16 ounces) of White Cheddar Cheese
1 Sweet Onion
1 8 Ounce bag of Sweet Peppers
1 Bunch of Flat Leaf Parsley
1 Cup of Panko Bread Crumbs
2 2 Quart Pots
1 4 Quart Pot
1 Large backing dish at least 4 quarts or larger
1 Wire Whisk
1 Box Grater
Measuring Cups (1 Cup)
Measuring Spoons (Tablespoon and Teaspoons)
1 Large Metal or Wooden Spoon for stirring pasta
1 Cutting Board
1 8 inch Chefs Knife
Prepare the Following Items:
1. Cook Pasta according to directions on the package
2. Cut 8 ounces of sweet peppers into small strips with seeds removed
4. Small dice sweet onion into small cubes that are about the size of your small finger nail
3. Finely chop parsley
4. Grate 16 ounces of white cheddar cheese
For The Sauce
1. Heat 1 quart (4 cups) of milk in a 2 quart pot till it is just about to simmer or medium to low heat so that milk does not boil over the sides of the pot.
2. In a separate 2 quart pot melt 5 tablespoons of butter over low heat.
3. Add 4 tablespoons of all purpose flour to the melted butter and stir constantly until the flour and butter mixture turns a lite brown color (about 5 minutes).
Note: You must stir the flour and butter constantly as it will burn very easily.
4. Once your flour and butter have turned a lite golden brown add 1 quart of warm milk, 8 ounces of cut up sweet peppers, and 1 sweet onion small diced. Stir frequently and cook for about 20 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and stir in 1 pound of graded white cheddar cheese, 2 teaspoons of kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper.
For Mac and Cheese
1. Combine your cooked pasta and cheese sauce in a large baking dish.
2. Mix together 1 cup of panko bread crumbs and 1 bunch of chopped parsley and cover the top of your mac and cheese with it.
3. Place Mac and Cheese in a 400 degree oven and bake until bread crumbs are a golden brown color (about 10-15 minutes).
1. You can use any type of cheese in this recipe.
2. Try adding different vegetables to your mac and cheese such as broccoli and peas.
3. Bacon also goes well with this recipe although it will make it a lot less healthy. You also might want to consider removing half of the butter too keep your mac and cheese from getting too greasy.